Melisa Silverman, Partner
Ms. Silverman is a Partner in The Founders Group, a national company focused on providing business transition services for closely held companies using a holistic and collaborative process that interferes the least in the business, yields business results increasing cash flow, profits and business value and frees up time for the business owner.
Ms. Silverman is also the President of Avenue M Advisors, Inc., a national, boutique business valuation and consulting services company.
Previously, Ms. Silverman worked for and consulted with large and medium size companies such as Sonare Technologies, a division of Herman Miller, Peregrine Systems and 3E Company.
Ms. Silverman’s experience includes:
- Performing valuations for investment purposes, such as partner buyout, ESOP compliance, IP valuations to tax related purposes, such as a company structure conversion, potential capital gains tax, estate and gift tax compliance, IRC §409A compliance, purchase price allocations; to litigation support purposes, such as a divorce, shareholder dispute, bankruptcy, lost profits determination or intellectual properties.
- Working with companies in the preparation of their business for sale, performing due diligence, performing financial and operational assessments, strategic and business planning, developing cash flow projections, feasibility studies, assessments, creating business development strategies, analysis of potential acquisitions, assisting clients with financing needs, and much more.
- Negotiating with strategic partners and assisting them with sales, marketing, training and operations to sell the Company’s products and services. Focus on vertical markets including retail, utilities, transportation, healthcare and manufacturing.
- Involvement in multiple acquisitions and participated in the due diligence, negotiations, acquisition announcements and integration plans and implementation of the acquired companies.
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN – 1991
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science and Psychology
- Dean’s List
Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad Law Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL – 1995
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- Book Award, Legal Research & Writing
- Moot Court Society
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor (CEPA) from the Exit Planning Institute (EPI)
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) from the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA). NACVA’S CVA® designation is the only valuation credential accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies® (NCCA®), the accreditation body of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence™ (ICE™)
- Senior Business Analyst (SBA) from the International Society of Business Analysts
- Certified Machinery & Equipment Appraiser (CMEA) from the National Equipment & Business Brokers Institute
- Member, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
- Member, Exit Planning Institute (EPI)
- Founder & Member, Los Angeles Exit Planning Institute Chapter
- Member, International Society of Business Analysts (ISBA)
- Member, National Equipment & Business Brokers Institute (NEBB)
- Member of The ESOP Association
- Member of National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO)
- Member, the California Bar Association – IP Practice Section
- Member, Provisors Network
- Member, The Exchange
- Member, Beverly Hills Estate Planning Council
- Member, Horizon LA Network
- Former Member, Business Forums International
- Presentation on the Pitfalls of Buy Sell Agreements and Valuation Issues at The Gathering Conference
- Presentation on Business Transitions for Estate & Succession Planning Groups
- Presentation on Valuation and Company Assessment for the Los Angeles Exit Planning Institute Chapter
- Keynote presentation to the California Bar Association – IP Practice Section Annual Meeting on Auditing IP Assets
- Presenter on Panel for the California Community Foundation on Valuing Illiquid Assets
- Presentation to the San Fernando Business Bar Association on Business Valuations for Legal Purposes
- Monthly Presentation to Maverick Angels Investment Accelerator Companies
- Presentation to Entrepreneurs and Advisors on Business Valuations of Early Stage Companies
- Taught on Business Valuations in the Real World at Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management
- Taught on Business Valuations for Early Stage Companies at LAVA Women’s Event and monthly Maverick Angels Accelerator Program
- Wrote Article that was turned into an IP Valuation Basics Q&A Interview for Brandaide
- Presented to numerous law firms on Using a Business Valuation to Identify and Mitigate a Client’s Risk in Planning the Exit Strategy
- Presented on Minority Discounts – Defend Them or Lose Them. This presentation was given to numerous Estate Planning Council groups, trust companies, law firms and CPA firms.
Ms. Silverman lives in Los Angeles, California and enjoys a variety of outdoor activities including: tennis, golf, water sports, hiking, working out and skiing. She is involved in her community and volunteers for several non-profit organizations.